Tuesday, October 16, 2012

All-Time Favorite


...Is here.  THE car of my dreams.  I have always wanted a twin for my '65 Le Mans convertible (my first car).  Plus, I have always considered a '65 GTO convert to be the absolute coolest automobile ever made.  Did I make myself clear?  If you need any sort of help understanding my very biased, borderline emotional slant on these cars, just read this:  Pontiac Is Dead...Who Cares, Right?  This GTO showed up for sale and I just "casually" went for a look, keeping my limits in mind.  The car looked amazing in the pictures, but well-worn up close...which gave me hope!  This car was not restored; not even close.  After minutes of careful looking I humbly asked if offers would be considered, made my offer, and after slight haggling was able to seal the deal via phone calls over the next week.  I had just sold my '65 Olds 442 project car (with a giant pile of important parts!) to a nice gentleman.  And I had just barely sold my transportation car, too.  This made my arsenal somewhat ready for such a ridiculous purchase; for such a wonderful treasure to show up!  And it was actually attainable!

Another big step (requirement) in getting this car was my wife's patient-but-stern counsel that if I was to get this GTO, it was time to quit my obsessive, constant searching for old cars.  She suggested maybe I ought to thin the herd of project cars even more so, allowing me to focus on just a few clunkers.  She also said it would free up shop space, and more important, mental space.  She said I am too preoccupied with the burden of what each project car needs as far as fabrication, parts, and repair...and that it shows.  "You can actually drive this one while you tinker, instead of tearing it apart", she said.  "Wouldn't you like that?"
                
While I refuse to call myself a mere "tinkerer", I realized she was right.  And I want to get back to enjoying  this fiddling with old American cars, instead of feeling distracted by all of the projects I have piled up.  And believe it or not, it actually feels good when one of my rusty treasures leaves for a new owner.  It is like a burden is lifted, and it makes me realize how nice it is to have room to actually focus on one of them!

 That being said...do I really need to sell another project?  Couldn't I just get some more tarps and...wait...I'm sticking to it, honey.  I promise!

This GTO is an original convertible built at the Pontiac, MI plant.  PHS shows it as Marimba Red with a White top and Parchment interior.  It was not ordered with tons of options; just 4 speed, console and a few others.  No Tri-Power, which is OK by me!  The interior is original and looks wonderful, which I really like.  The motor in the car is not original or correct, but rather a '67 WT code 400 with 670 heads.  This motor was removed from a '67 GTO 4 speed car sometime in history.  The good news is the original WT code 389 bare block was included with this car, and it looks useable.  There is plenty this car will need in order for a full restoration, but I keep reminding myself that I am not going to even think of restoring this car anytime soon.  It is perfect just as it is, just as I like these treasures.  Mostly original, with crazed and checked paint that shows its age the closer you get.  And it smells of old car; that distinct smell I  remember on those special discoveries we would make with dad when I was a little boy.  He was always taking Saturday evening rides to go look at a '60 Ventura, a '65 Gran Sport, or some other wonderful first-half-of-the-60s BOP treasure.

So here it is.  My all-time favorite car.  And though the rose-colored glasses have totally fallen off, I am still happy with my new treasure.  It IS well worn, not worn-out.  Just as I've always wanted one to be.

 As of right now I am rambling this blog update as a therapeutic distraction from my mental checklist of all that I "need" to do to the GTO.  I am supposed to leave the car as it is:  Only tinkering, not restoration. But I do need to find some red line bias ply tires.  And who knows, maybe Rally I's.  Now that I think of it, I will need to fabricate patch panels, find a correct clock....start searching for correct heads...an AFB...
Uh oh!

0 comments:

Post a Comment